Brockwell Park users once again reacted angrily to the conduct of Run Through, a commercial 10km race provider, on Sunday 10th January 2016.
Park user groups have received allegations that the event resulted in:
- unnecessarily loud music played at 9am on a Sunday, disturbing local residents.
- inadequate and ineffective marshalling of the event. Park users not participating in the event were forced to walk on the grass in the mud by runners who would not give way.
- abuse of Brockwell Lido staff by Run Through participants when they were told that they could not use Lido facilities, including toilets and first aid.
- blocking of the Lido entrance, car park and Dulwich Road by Run Through participants.
- failure by Run Through to declare on its website that proceeds from the event are being donated to charity – despite Lambeth Events Team recording this as a ‘charity event’.
Run Through’s operation has previously proved controversial with park users, as this article from January 2014 shows.
Brockwell Park’s management team, comprising of park stakeholder groups and Lambeth staff, will seek to resolve these issues with Lambeth Events Team next week and to avoid a repeat – as Events has scheduled Run Through to return to the Park in August 2016.