As part of the First World War centenary, the Borough is installing memorial plaques dedicated to Lambeth citizens who won the Victoria Cross in the First World War.
The most recent plaque was unveiled on 21st April and commemorates 2nd Lieutenant Benjamin Geary who was born in Lambeth and who lived on the Norwood Road. The plaque is sited by Brockwell Park’s Herne Hill Gate in a spot where it can be seen from the road but is protected from foot and vehicle traffic.
Benjamin Geary survived the First World War and moved to Canada afterwards. He also served in the Second World War.
The plaque was unveiled by two members of his family; the citation was read by General Dannatt, former Chief of the General Staff. An honour guard represented several regiments.
The ceremony was also attended by Lambeth’s Mayor.
We are pleased to announce the line up of MADD for Brockwell Park community events in 2015. Event details are correct at the time of writing. 20,000 copies of the calendar will be distributed in SE24, SW2 and SW9 from mid April. Please check this blog and our Facebook page for updates. The majority of the events are FREE although, as a small registered charity, we ask for donations to support the cost of events insurance. For general enquiries about the MADD Programme please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday 10th: Jo’s Crafty Parties, Pop Up Books Making. Performance Space, 1pm-5pm. FREE.
- Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th: St Matthews Project 10th anniversary photo exhibition 10th anniversary. Brockwell Hall, 10am – 5pm. FREE.
- Sunday 17th: The Five Parks Walk 2015. Brockwell Park events fundraising walk around 5 beautiful South London Parks. Start by Brockwell Hall, 10am
- Sunday 31st: Green Rock River Band, Bluegrass, folk, Americana, big band concert. Performance Space, 2pm – 4pm. FREE.
- Saturday 6th: Thomas Lynn Bristowe Memorial Event. Hear about the man that put Brockwell Park into public ownership. Performance Space, 7.30pm
- Sunday 7th: Lambeth Wind Orchestra. Summer concert, Performance Space, 2pm-4pm. FREE
- Sunday 14th: The Great North Wood Project. Art, music and storytelling to bring the story of the historic wood to life. Performance Space, 1pm-5pm. FREE
- Sunday 5th: Effra Residents, Arts and Clay Workshop. Performance Space, 1pm-5pm. FREE.
- Sunday 5th: Uncle Aug CIC presents Wuntanara – African Dance and Drumming. Peformance Space, 2pm – 4pm. FREE
- Sunday 12th: Brockwell Community Dog Show. Registration from noon, show from 2pm.
- Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th: Lambeth Country Show – in it’s 41st year! FREE.
- Friday 24th to 2nd August. Sixteen Feet Productions, Wind in the Willows. Walled Garden. Ticket prices will be on the 16 Feet website.
- Sunday 16th. Funky Breakers, Breakdancing and hip hop workshops. Performance Space, 2pm-4pm. FREE.
- Sunday 6th. Soul Intent, Motown, Stax and Funk. Performance Space, 2pm-5pm. FREE.
- Sunday 20th: Brixton BMX Club hosts the London Series BMX race meeting. BMX Track. Registration 9.30am – 11pm; Racing from noon.
- Sunday 27th: Third Thought Theatre perform Invisible People. Walled Garden, 12-4pm. FREE.
Concert*, Brockwell Hall, 1.30pm.
All Saints Concert Band, Performance Space, 2.30pm. FREE.
Greenhouse Jazz*, Community Greenhouses, 3.30pm.
*Ticket prices will be on the HHMF website.
Posted in Events, MADD for Brockwell Park 2015, What We Do
Tagged Brockwell Dog Show, Brockwell Park, Brockwell Park Community Events, Brockwell Park Community Partners, Five Parks Walk, Lambeth Council, MAD for Brockwell Park, MADD for Brockwell Park, MADD for Brockwell Park Calendar of Events, Park visitors
Our Annual General Meeting will take place at 11am, Sunday 19th April 2015 at Brockwell Hall, Brockwell Park, Herne Hill, London. SE24 9BJ.
The purpose of the meeting is for our voting members to elect representative members of the public and officers of the charity, any proposed constitutional amendments as well as receiving the charity’s annual report and examined accounts for 2013-14.
Any nominations for members of the public & charity officers or constitutional amendments should be sent to the BPCP Secretary prior to the meeting: email@example.com
Following the conclusion of the formal business there shall be a presentation of the feasibility study for the restoration of Brockwell Hall and a small celebration to mark the 20th anniversary of Brockwell Park Community Partners. See you there!
Brockwell Park Community Partners has a stall at the Herne Hill Market this coming Sunday 22nd March 2015.
We shall have more of our lovely tree-towels (pictured), Brockwell Park Plum Jam, Wildflower Seeds and Cards.
All proceeds go to a registered charity to support projects and events in the Park.
Come and see us!